If you do not have a copy of your green card because it was lost or stolen, bring a government-issued photo identification such as a passport, state-issued driver's license, state- issued identification card, or U.S. military-issued identification card.

You should apply up to 6 months prior to the expiration date of the green card (indicated on the front of the card). However, there is no need to rush to apply for a new green card far in advance since you will be issued a temporary proof of your status when you apply in person. The USCIS will attach a sticker to your expiring/expired green card to extend the validity of the card, and return it to you to use as temporary proof of status.

If you have an expiring/expired green card, you will not lose your legal status in the United States. Your lawful permanent resident status will not expire or change. However, you will need to renew the expiring green card in order to maintain acceptable evidence of your permanent resident status and avoid possible difficulties in obtaining employment, benefits, and re-entry into the United States after traveling abroad.

Unless your green card is lost, stolen, destroyed or you never received one, you need to bring the current green card with you when you file your application at the USCIS. If you were automatically converted to a permanent resident status, you need to provide your original temporary document. Always photocopy all documents for your records.

If you plan to file abroad, we have provided a link that contains a complete list of United States embassies and consulates. It will provide information about the office location, contact information, office hours, important and updated information. A full list of United States embassies and consulates can be found at: http://usembassy.state.gov/

If you are filing in the United States, find your local USCIS Application Support Centers (ASC)